“Others, like seed sown on good soil, hear the Word, accept it, and produce a crop – some thirty, some sixty, some a hundred times what was sown.”
– Matthew 4:20
It matters what kind of seed is sown and where it is sown. Ask any farmer, or person who gardens, and they will tell you the important things that will help you produce a good crop. If you follow their instructions, then there is a much better chance that a good crop will be produced. But if you don’t follow their instructions…if you cut corners and leave out some of the details…if you don’t listen carefully then there is a chance that the crop will not produce to its fullest potential, if any crop is produced at all. In the same way, as people of the Christian faith, we are planting seeds. And it matters what kind of seed we sow in the church. There are many kinds of invitational seeds we can sow. One type of seed is extending the invitation for people to come to church so they can put into the collection plate and fill our pews. Another type of invitational seed is extending to others church membership without the knowledge to embrace the doctrine and polity of the church. This is the “why we do what we do” concept. But another type of seed is extending the invitation for the lost to receive the saving grace of a Savior and those who already believe to grow in the strength and knowledge of that Savior. You see, it matters what kind of seed we sow and where we sow it. When planting seeds of faith don’t cut corners, listen to the Master’s instruction, and be mindful of the seed we’re planting. In this way, may a crop be produced some thirty, sixty or a hundred times what was sown! May God Bless you.
VOLUNTEER @ Burlington United Methodist Apple Harvest Festival
· Each Fall, Hundreds Of Volunteers Join Together To Bring The Magical Potion We Call Burlington Apple Butter Into Being. This Has Been Happening For Nearly 50 Years. The Main Ingredient In Our Apple Butter Is Not Apples As You May Think, But People. It Takes Many People To Make This Festival And Apple Butter Making Happen. We welcome ALL volunteers and no pre-registration is needed!!!
· Volunteers Dates/Hours – September 26th through October 1st (4:30 a.m. to Whenever the Apple Butter says so.)
· For More Information, please go to the District Website (Mission Opportunities) or click on this website: Apple Harvest Festival – Mission Opportunity – Potomac Highlands District (phdumc.org)
Charge Conference Reports
· All charge conference reports have now been E-mailed or Mailed via USPS (only to those who requested it) to all assigned clergy. If you have not received yours, please contact Sonnie ASAP!!!!
Charge Conference Dates – Please see district website (www.phdumc.org)
Pastoral Interview Dates – Please see district website (www.phdumc.org)
PHD Clergy Family Picnic
· Date: August 27th
· Time: 4:00 p.m. to Dark
· Location: Welton Park (1979 Petersburg Gap Hwy Petersburg, WV 26847) Shelter # 2
· What to Bring: You and your family…A covered dish…A lawn chair…Feel free to bring your favorite outside game.
· Meat, Drinks and Plates/Cutlery will be provided!!!
· Auction – If you have an item that you no longer need and would like to give away, bring it to the auction. We will auction it off with 100% of the proceeds benefitting the C.O.M.E (Celebrations of Missions Event) for the Potomac Highlands District.
· Rev. Dr. Stephon Reed, the WVUMC Conference Approved Evangelist, is accepting dates for Summer and Fall Revivals. If you would like to secure an opportunity to have Rev. Reed preach at your Revival services, please contact him at (304) 676-1507 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Basic Coach Training
· If you have ever been interested in becoming a Coach within the WV Annual Conference, this is a GREAT opportunity you won’t want to miss.
· September 17th (9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.) @ Grace UMC, Keyser
· Registration: www.wvumc.org/calendar
Local Church Events
· August 14th – Glory Way will be singing at Bethel Outdoor Ministries (1300 Broadford Road Oakland, MD 21550). They will begin singing at 6:00 p.m. A suggested donation of $5 is recommended. Bring a Lawn Chair and enjoy a great evening!!!
· Shared when Received.
· Let me encourage you to check out the Conference Learning Management System. You can take courses that will qualify for Continuing Education hours!!!
Special Sunday Offering
Congregational Vitality Grants
· Areas of availability include: Worship Technology, First-Time Guest Hospitality, Evangelism, Discipleship, Generative Ministry, Celebrate Recovery/Recovery Ministry, New Church Start.
· For more information – Congregational Vitality Grants | West Virginia Conference of the United Methodist Church (wvumc.org)
· Questions can be directed to Christina Ridgway at email@example.com or by calling (304) 344-8331 ext. 30.
UM Foundation Grants – DEADLINE Fall, 2022
· Link to Bishop Sandra Steiner Ball’s December 31st letter – https://www.wvumc.org/2021/12/covid-19-update-from-bishop-heading-into-2022/
Potomac Highlands Apportioned Churches – 2022
(ALL 170 Churches are represented beginning in the July configuration)
|Total # of churches on track to meet 100%.||40||55||72||80||73||84||83|
|Total # of churches that have already met 100%.||4||7||13||14||16||20||29|
|Total # of churches behind but have paid more than 0%.||3||16||24||32||42||35||63|
|Total # of churches that have paid 0%||102||73||48||34||29||24||24|
|Total % paid from Potomac Highlands.||4%||11%||18%||26%||34%||36%||45%|
|What % should we be at?||8%||17%||25%||33%||42%||50%||58%||67%||75%||83%||92%||100%|
|Total % paid for District Fair Share.||24%||33%||49%||54%||56%||61%||64%|
|Churches that have paid 100% of Fair Share – Burlington, Centenary, Christ (Rowlesburg), Corner, Crellin, Elk Garden, Etam, Evansville, Green Valley, Janes, Jennings, McHenry, Mt. Hebron (South Branch), Mt. Israel, Mt. Pisgah, Mt. Sarah, Mt. Zion, Nethkin Hill, North Dry Run, North River Mills, Oak Grove, Pisgah, Pleasant View, Riverton, Shay’s Chapel, St. Paul (Williamsport), Wesley Chapel (Rowlesburg), White, Willow Chapel|
To be a Christ led, spiritual breath of fresh air that changes the world.
To discover, develop and deploy passionate spiritual leaders who make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.